Friday, September 18, 2009

Sometimes it is too late

I'm sure you've heard people say "it's never too late to...". Well, sometimes it is too late. The saying "never put off till tomorrow what you can do today" should be what people keep in mind. Today, I received a copy of the obituary for a dear lost friend of mine. She was dear. She was lost to me only because we allowed distance to wear away at our communication with each other. I'd wondered about this friend many times over the years. I just started to reach out to people I used to know, but had not reached her yet. I so wish I had. My tears today are not because I'm sorry for her, because she's in heaven where I believe most of us want to be one day. My tears are because I wish I'd found her sooner. I would love to have reconnected and listened to her life story. I would love to have had the chance to tell her how much I enjoyed her company when we were just young friends. I wish I could have been there to offer her some sort of support while she bravely fought cancer. I didn't know. She never married, but stayed close to her family. She fought for a long time. On Monday, Sept 7, 2009, surrounded by her family at home, she passed away from this world. I am sad that I lost the chance to get to know the grown up lady she'd become. I hope she has the ability in heaven to know those of us here who will miss her. If she didn't know before, I hope she does now. My friend was Bronwyn Anne Dunnagan "Bee".

I had also lost two other people before I'd had the chance to reconnect with them. My Grandmother, Martha and my Step-father, Rich. I had gotten in touch with my grandmother after years of being away. I had meant to keep in touch, but learned several years ago that she had passed away and I had never been notified. I had so much that I wanted to share with her. I had so many questions for her. I lost her. My step-father had left before I'd returned from my initial army training. I had no contact with him for many years. I thought of him though. I had decided to leave the past in the past and forgive. I wanted to reach out to him and try to open the lines of communication. He had never met my kids. Before I took the chance to find him, I got a call from my mother one day while I was in the park with my girls. My step-father had passed away from lung cancer. Again, I put off what I should have done. I lost my step-dad. You may have a similar story. It's easy to put things off, I do all the time. Grudges are the worst. Grudges only hurt the one carrying the grudge. Release it and move on. I will never have a chance here on earth to tell these three people what they meant to me. Please don't put off what you can do today. In loving memory of Martha Ramey, Richard W. Lynch and Bronwyn Dunnagan. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know who you are, or maybe I do, but Bee and I were best friends all throughout boarding school. I spoke with her about 5 years ago, but found out TODAY from her brother-in-law that she passed. It was my visit with Sr. Moreau last week that prompted me to contact her again after 5 long years. I am sad for the same reasons that you are. God Bless you for sharing this. Regards, Po-Po

    ReplyDelete